Saturday, November 14, 2009

My English Learning Experience

Hello people! This is my last post in this blog. Sadly I have to say that I’m finishing my last English course in the university. It’s sad because I believe that English courses should be given across the career. Well, to finish this blog I’m going to write a brief essay about my experience learning English at the university.

Today English learning is crucial to fit in the society. English is a must to get good jobs and to get a good status in the society. In the educational field English is really important to be updated. In science the last researches and discoveries are published in English around the world, and so on. English is becoming a tool to connect people, a language that provide communication between persons every place in the world. As you can see English is very important nowadays. ¿Do we have in the university the facilities and the method to learn English properly? ¿Is the course working Style the best for learn English? I’m going to tell you my experience.

In Universidad de Chile (my university) the English courses consist in 4 difficulty levels, from very easy to very hard (lol). When you enter at the university you have to make a leveling test that put you in one of the four levels. The courses are one per semester and it’s supposed to be focused in writing and oral skills. When I made the leveling test I scored enough to reach level 3. This level was not what I was expecting. I thought that level 3 would be a course to improve our talking skills, our major lack thinking that our country language is spanish. In spite of this I think that blogging was a very constructive experience for our learning. I had never used a blog before, and I think that is an excelent tool to improve our writing skills. Now this semester I'm in (and finishing) the level 4 class. English 4 was a more helpful class than English 3 to our English. The facilities were fine, but always could be better. For example it should be really good to have an English laboratory. Also sometimes we had problems to take a classroom. About the English contents is worth to mention that teacher couldn’t go quickly with the subjects because our class level was not the same.

I had heard many critics about these courses, like “We don’t learn anything new” or “The level is not what I was expecting at all”. But I really think that we have good English teachers, with true vocation for learning. The problem I think is that the academic load is too low. We only have an hour and half per week, if we count only the classes, and that’s not enough. I'm very satisfied with the English classes, but I would like to have more. I have the feeling that I have much more to learn.
Thanks for reading,
See ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment